[Yaesu] FT-990

Daniel Senie dts@senie.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:47:24 -0500

Ray (WF1B) came by to visit a few months ago, and we exercised the
FT-1000MP every way I could think of, and figured out what things to
pull when. He was writing and fixing code while I worked the radio In a
very short time, the software understood the radio better than ever.

I suspect he just needs to add some similar stuff for the 990. The
problem you're seeing results from the fact that Yaesu really has no
clue what data to provide on a typical request from software.

To get it completely right, you have to first ask for the flags command
(gives about 6 bytes of data) to find out what mode you're in (memory
tune mode tends to mess up software as well), and THEN ask for one of 3
or 4 different possible other hunks of data to get the right thing.
NASTY interface... I'm glad to see Yaesu's finally decided to put a
faster UART on the new rig (847).

I do software and especially embedded systems software for a living, and
so am pretty sensitive to this sort of thing.

Now that Ray's fixed up the 1000MP stuff, it works better at talking to
the rig than any of the other software I use.

Dan N1JEB