[Yaesu] FT 560 S meter question

John P Skubick k8js@juno.com
Sat, 30 May 1998 16:35:04 -0400

What you have observed is a normal condition for "S"-meter circuitry.
Therefore, the rig manufacturers must install "S"-meters that are
built mechanically as backwards reading.
There were a couple of rigs built about 30-40 years ago that had normal
reading meters
installed upside down, but the printed "S" scale was shown as "normal".

I really don't know how today's rigs, built since the last 25 years,
incorporate their
multiple function-reading metering.  I've never delved into that aspect.
Perhaps the receiving section's AGC voltage is electronically reversed to
acommodate
a mechanically normal, left-to-right reading meter scale.

73.  --John, K8JS

On Tue, 19 May 1998 15:16:48 -0700 (PDT) David Feldman <dgf@netcom.com>
writes:
>I looked closely at the S meter on the FT560 and I was AMAZED to see
>that is really is "backwards reading" - stronger signal moves the S
>meter to the LEFT, not the right. I wasted much of this afternoon
>trying to figure this one out before looking at the meter itself.
>I've never seen this arrangement before...
>
>However, the meter itself is still dead, so I'm still in need of one.
>
>Also, if someone has a manual they'd like to part with (or loan out
>for copy or whatever...) I'd be real grateful.
>
>73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
>Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]