[Yaesu] 747 757 767 840 differences?

John Lane lane@glerl.noaa.gov
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:22:06 -0400

Most of the radios you mentioned used an older PLL synthesizer technology
which resulted in significant phase noise and rather high noise floors.
There is nothing wrong with them (The 757 was a marvel in its day) but I
find them tiresome to listen to after a while.  The 840 is a newer radio
that I have little experience with.  I have heard others mention that it is
marginal as regards strong signal handling.  The 867 is a whole other animal
altogether which includes VHF/UHF capability.  Perhaps your best bet for a
radio in the class of the 757 would be the FT-890 which has a similar
appearance but much upgraded internals and isn't a whole lot more money on
the used market.  W8KX