[Yaesu] FT1000MP Odd Behavior

Robert L. Carroll rlc@idt.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:42:49 -0500

I have recently started to operate RTTY for the first time with an
FT1000MP.  I have noticed a quirk with the rig which is repeatable
and whihc I had not noticed before using RTTY.  If I am in RTTY
mode, have the EDSP engaged and in the narrow bandpass mode I
will sometimes  change frequency down to the cw segment, and
then change the mode to cw to listen to a cw spot from the DX
cluster.  When I hit the cw mode button under these conditions
there is a nasty ripping sound from my speaker which quits after a
couple of seconds and there is no audio out.  If I disengage the
EDSP the set works fine, but if I reengage the DSP there is no
audio out.

Upon tuning the power off and restarting everything is fine.

If I repeat the above sequence and have the EDSP button engaged
but only noise reduction on and no bandpass filtering the EDSP
does not misbehave.

I can work around this problem if I remember to turn off the DSP
before moving/changing and I don't want to ship the unit back until I
have to, but I am curious whether this is a known problem or just
peculiar to my rig.  I don't recall seeing it discussed on this
reflector.

Robert L. Carroll W2WG X-AA2UV