[Yaesu] DSP-59Y with FT-1000D performance question

Dave Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:58:21 -0400

Joseph,

I have had the 59Y since they came out.  You have to make sure that your
audio lines are not grounded to the chassic (earth ground).  The power supply in
the 59Y floats the negative side. If for example you have a
phone patch from Yaesu and that patch connections are chassic ground.
That connection to ground will cause the 59Y power supply to act up and can
cause flaky scenarios.  It happened on my FT-1000D.  Also, any other audio
devices in the line such as tape recorders, equalizers, etc. should be checked
to see if they are contributing to the hiss, hum, etc. you are describing.  I've
noticed that about 12 o'clock the DSP unit does generate
a variable white noise of sorts.  Nothing significant but in a quiet shack you
can hear it...YES, it is annoying.  I've also asked about it and the response
has been par....check for ground loops and or send in the unit for a check-up.
I expect the noise comes with the territory.  One work around you might try
 is to use the passive filters on the speaker to reduce the objectionable
background...

Good questions....you should forward your email to the manufacturer and get
their answer on paper, HAHA.  Let them know the Yaesu list is wants to hear
an official answer! ;-)

HAVE FUN,
dave
WA3GIN