[Yaesu] FT-900 Modification for Variable "RF" Gain Control

David G. Maley dgmaley@soli.inav.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:31:24 -0500 (CDT)

Don;
I placed my rig on my bench and went through the factory test select
procedure for this resistor.  Do you have a copy of the service
bulletin?  Basically it says to keep increasing this resistor value
until you notice a SLIGHT audio distortion on the voice peaks.
Install that resistor value.  I used a resistor dec. box.  I also made
it a little too high, so a do get a little distortion on strong signals.
I consider it worth the trade.  My radio ended up using a 9.7K resistor.
On the additional filter.  Suggest you install the Collins mechanical
filter instead.  What you will hear is better audio (no filter ringing),
and less filter leakage.
73  Dave   WA0ZZG