[Yaesu] FT-1000 Tuner Question

Dave Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:00:34 -0500

Hi Folks,

My friend and I both have FT-1000s.  But they operate differently as it
relates
to the auto-tuner.  I can move from band to band, say from 75m to 40m
with
the tuner "on" and when I move the bandswitch the wait indicator lites
for a
few moments in receive mode (I can hear the tuner resetting). I transmit

and no other indications are apparent, i.e. the wait lamp does not lite.

On my friends rig, under the same scenario when he goes to transmit the
wait lamp lites for a few moments and the auto-tune unit makes a slight
adjustment.

Remember we are not moving freq., just switching back and forth between
to bands. At first we thought it might be a low memory battery but we
changed
it and the new battery has made no difference in the operation of the
auto-tuner in my friends rig. We are both using the same level of
software,
level 6.

I wonder if the age of the radios may be what is the difference?  My rig
is a
perhaps several years younger than my friends.

Both rigs auto-tume just fine. But my friends has that slight
hesistation and
re-tune during the first few moments of transmitting. This will also
occur even
if he stays on the same band and just changes frequency. While he turns
the freq. dial the wait lamp will lite (which is normal operation). He
stops
at a freq. the wait lamp goes off. He transmits and the wait lamp will
again
lite and the auto-tuner will reset slightly (within moments), then the
wait lamp
goes out, etc.

We don't know if something is not working correctly, like the tuner
isn't setting
up properly in the first place or if this is just some odler hardware
programing
fluke that was fixed in later models.

thoughts are welcome,
dave

p.s. No we didn't try it into a dummy load but we will just to ensure RF
isn't
       getting back into the circuitry and causing false setting.