[Yaesu] Re: [TenTec] OMNI 6+ or FT1000MP

Peter J. F. Shaw k4ldr@hitter.net
Mon, 10 May 1999 08:59:38 -0400

Greetings Ttalkers:

I believe that the bright Hallicrafters receiver displayed at W9AC's
ops position
is the SX-110.  The 110 was a shined-up version, with little
electronic advancement, of the SX-96. The 96 was a substantially
improved version of the SX-99.  All had the mechanically "shaky" bfo
characteristic.

The SX-96 was my very first factory built receiver purchased in 1955
for $249.  I used it for listening to short wave broadcasts and heard
something called ham operators.  That is where I learned that hams
could talk to others around the world.  That was for me.   The dollars
to purchase were derived from 180 lawn mowing jobs at one or two
dollars each.  The next receiver I had was a triple conversion home
built and, by far, it was superior to any factory built receiver I had
access to at that time.   Then I got a Drake 2B which equalled my high
performance home built receiver, was smaller, prettier, better dial
calibration, and the cat's meow.

73  Pete  K4LDR  Citrus County, FL on the Gulf of Mex

FL Contest Grp (FCG) is proud to have the ARRL Sweepstakes first place
CW
 winners K1TO and K4OJ.  Gud job fellows!

Member of the Florida Contest Group (FCG) - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out
the FQP website@: http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm