[Yaesu] Ft-920 driver adjust

David Jordan wa3gin@erols.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:33:17 -0500

Folks,

WHY do you think some rigs don't have the same output(?)...because the
manufacturer put in the wrong size pot.  Hardly!

Those rigs were probably tuned down in power so that they would meet the
USA FCC or some other country's emmission spectral purity requirements.
It's not broke Eric.  It was designed to work that way, probably.

Why not ask the company tech rep...I remember the early ICOM 706s were
down tuned to keep the output signals clean...eventually as reventions
were made the power slowly creeped up.

It's funny how sensitive and subjective some amateurs are about the
power output of their radios.  Try running half the power for a week or
two and don't mention the fact to your regular contacts.  I'll bet few
will notice or even comment on the difference...

Typically, there is little you can do improve on a rig produced by the
big four or five companies.  But a little more watts like 15watts (95wts
to 110wts) won't make a difference on the other guys receiver, on your
frequency -- but it might make a difference to those other stations on
both sides of your frequency.

You have to double the power to really hear the difference, I think.

If you want more power try a FT-1000 ...200watts output all day long.

Have Fun,
dave
WA3GIN