[Yaesu] Diversity Reception - Antenna, Mode, Dsp, and Filter.

WD8ARZ WD8ARZ" <wd8arz@IX.NETCOM.COM
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:03:20 -0400

Yep, I concur with everything you said David. Along with that antenna
diversity reception that I highly endorse, don't forget the mode and filter
diversity reception that works great too.

Using headphones, or speakers centered to your far left and right, brings in
a improved sorting ability when turning around with dual receivers too. In
fact this portion of the diversity reception 'plays' with the brain, and I
find not only very pleasing listening as a result, but because I can
'mentally' sort different audio types being feed to each ear, I also find my
fatigue listening factor is reduced considerably. I frequently put one
receiver on to Usb for a AM broadcast station, and the other receiver on
LSB. Depth is immediately improved. Then if you play with the Dsp settings
on the main receiver, it almost sounds like stereo effects! Wonderful brain
spatial effects galore this way. Using one receiver on plain AM and the
other on AM Synchronized isn't bad when tuning around and having the tuning
knobs locked together. Signals slide around the head real neato! Lets don't
forget experimenting with different width filters between the two receivers
also.

Actually it would be very easy to bring out a separate antenna connection
from the FT-1000MP sub receiver. There is plenty of room on the back panel
for a connecter.... or you could free up one of the connectors already
there. Only thing missing would be to use a tuner so as to provide some
front end filtering to contain the overload issue from nearby strong
signals. Most tuners would be a big help. Yep I know it is not a band pass
filter and it doesn't change band to band automatically, but neither did our
rigs of yore... hi hi

There is a mod for the D out there some where, that ties the two receivers
tuning together, which is very very nice to have when tuning around with
diversity reception. One day I plan to implement that in my MP. Currently
you have to hold in the main receiver dial lock to tune the main receiver
and have the sub receiver track with it. That button holding hurts the
finger after awhile.... hi hi

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
wd8arz@ix.netcom.com