[Yaesu] New radio

Korhonen Esa.P (NET/Dallas) esa.p.korhonen@nokia.com
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:56:21 -0600

Hello to the list!

I just heard Santa has budgeted a new radio for me....but I'm not sure
what I want.

Yaesu users, can you tell me the pro's and con's of the MkV?

I have not used one myself, and the testimonials I've heard include
everything between the most awesome radio and the most miserable piece
of electronics on the earth....I'm going to test drive one before I buy,
but I'd like comments from as many users as possible. I have used the
1000D and 1000MP quite a bit, but not this latest one in the
1000-series.

Especially, I'm interested in the following:
- how well does the radio withstand strong signals? Is it ok for
multi-op contesting?
- do I need to buy all the optional filters to make it work ok? I'm
kinda suspicious about the dsp, I think the dsp does not work well if
the first IF's don't have decent filters.
- if there is a strong, say S9 +20 signal, and a weaker, say S4 signal,
just a couple of kHz apart, is the radio capable of hearing that weak
one or does the strong one block it due to the dsp not being able to
handle even this 50dB difference in close frequencies?
- sensitivity generally, is it ok?
- has Yaesu fixed the CW-click problem what MP typically had?
- how about the TX signal purity? Lot of phase noise? Again, is it ok
for multi-op contesting....?
- does the power supply have a wide input range, i.e. 110-240 or do I
need two supplies if I need to use the radio on both voltages?
- how about ergonomics, better or worse compared to MP? Is the display
any better than MP's?
- any reliability problems? Good or poor craftmanship?
etc.

Tell me guys, I want to know everything possible. IC-756 Pro2 would be
another choice, but somehow I have always liked Yaesu better.

73!
Esa
W5/OH7WV