[Yaesu] re: FT-920

Nate Bargmann n0nb@networksplus.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:35:07 -0600

* Al Fansome <alfansome69@yahoo.com> [2002 Feb 14 20:06 -0600]:
> I spoke to Inrad when I was considering filter mods in
> addition to those done by the previous owner. Inrad
> said there's an inherent blow-by flaw in the 920 that
> their filters wouldn't eliminate.
>
> Being a CW newbie, exactly what is blow-by and what
> would it sound like using a 500 Hz filter?

It's been about a year since I last used my '920 (still in the box from
moving...gahh!), however I recall that it manifests itself as stray
signals clearly beyond the filter passband.  You will also notice it as
hearing the signal "on the other side" of zero beat.  I found that
simply switching in the DSP even at its widest bandwidth eliminated the
blowby.  INRAD is correct, the 400 Hz filter I bought from them did not
eliminate the blowby, but it sure allows the DSP to do its thing.

The first time I encountered the blowby I was quite disappointed.  But I
think Yaesu opted to keep the radio in a lower price range and clean up
the effect with the DSP.  With this in mind, I've come to enjoy the
capabilities of the '920.

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and