[Yaesu] FT 1000: Filters

k3ky@erols.com k3ky@erols.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:53:08 -0500

All correct, Barry, but I think I remember seeing older literature
from Yaesu in which the FT-1000 (non-D) was stripped down
to only the 2.4KHz and 500Hz filters in the 2nd IF, and of
course it had only the ceramic 2.4KHz filter in the 3rd IF.
(Murata CFJ-455K mounted on a Yaesu plug-in filter board-
the ceramic unit is obvious because of its smaller size)

As evidence of this, I would point out that 2 of the 4 filters
in the 2nd IF are soldered in (i.e. 'standard'). Also, these 2
filters, the SSB standard and the CW wide units, do not have
the "XF-n" identifiers. The other 6 filter positions in the radio
are designed to accept plug-in (accessory) filters, including
2 in the 2nd IF. I think I have it in writing here somewhere.
I am still looking for the older literature.

At some point, Yaesu must have upped the price on the
non-D radios and made the 2.0KHz (XF-A) and the 250 Hz
(XF-B) 2nd If filters standard- but they do plug in, the other
2 do not.

I have a May 97 Yaesu price list and it lists XF-A and XF-B
as standard in the non-D radio. Of course, by that time, list
price for the 'stripped down' version was USD 4,399.00.  :o)
List price for the FT-1000D was 5,459.00.  It adds XF-C,
3nd IF 2.4KHz, XF-D, 3rd IF 2.0KHz, YF-110C (was XF-E),
3rd IF 500Hz, and YF-110CN (was XF-F), 3rd IF 250Hz.
And today, of course, only the FT-1000D is still offered.
The 250Hz 3rd IF filter has always been an option, even in
the "D" version. Same for the sub-rx 600Hz CW filter
(XF-455MC).

I still suspect there may be some early FT-1000's out there
that might 'go dead' in the 2.0KHz and 250Hz BW settings.

I can think of no practical way to tell which 3rd IF crystal
filters might be in the radio, other than to open it (that was
one of the 3 original questions in this thread).

Still loving my FT-1000 (now upgraded to a "D"). Best radio
I have ever had the pleasure to own.  73, David K3KY