[Yaesu] Re: Wiley KF6IIU frozen coils

Laird Tom N LairdTomN@JohnDeere.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:43:47 -0600

> - Most of the inductors in my FT-101 are frozen. The coils
> are full of congealed paraffin. Is there a way to unstick them?
------------------------

I have used a hair dryer. I also used a soldering pencil and recently
tried one of those new micro-flame torches; they have a "flame diffuser"
in the tip, but you still need to be careful. I use it to remove the cans
from hermetically sealed crystals and Collins mechanical filters.

Incidentally, I make plug cords for Johnson transmitters for the coaxial
relay
output socket out of them. Drill a hole in the end of the crystal, melt the
solder at the base, remove the can, solder some zip cord on the terminals,
solder it back together and silicone the cord to the can so it doesn't cut
through the wire. Works great, but make sure you have the right size
crystal,
pin spacing and pin size before you start.

Tom Laird WC9M
Moline, IL.