[Yaesu] Inrad IFamp mod

Sam_Stimson@Dell.com Sam_Stimson@Dell.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 17:37:41 -0500

I had no trouble at all with mine. I do know what you are talking about when
trying to remove the covers. This radio does not want to be undressed....

Sam
N5WU

-----Original Message-----
From: David Buren [mailto:dburen@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 8:28 AM
To: Yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Inrad IFamp mod

Here's a new one....upon removing the bottom panel on my FT1000MP Mark V to
install the Inrad IF amp, I discovered that the coax cable going to J2003
was too short to reach the Input jack on the Inrad circuit board.
Reasonable tugging at the egress hole was mildly successful but the cable
was still just shy of the connector.

George at Inrad was no help ..."I've sold hundreds of these units and never
had a problem".

Next I decided to pull the top covers to see about removing the RF amp with
attached heat sink (ugh) which sits above the egress hole,  but was
unsuccessful in loosening the side closest to the center of unit.  This is
another story, but if anyone knows the secret of freeing the RF amp please
inform.

Finally, by forcing the input jack's standing angle of 45 deg down toward
the circuit board, the cable would just baaaaaarely reach.  Anybody else
have this problem?

BTW, the bottom cover tucks in under the 3 top cover pieces and it is
**much** easier to just go ahead and remove the top pieces first before
removing the bottom.  This is especially true in the reassembly.

Dave  W1DB