[Yaesu] Re: FT901 Noise

esa.p.korhonen@nokia.com esa.p.korhonen@nokia.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:59:15 +0200

Some thoughts from among falling snow flakes...

Given that the noise generates an S9 reading, we can exclude all audio related circuits. Different VFO didn't help either, so it can be excluded as well. I would exclude the front end as well, since it has band specific filtering and the noise is across all bands (I assume). The front end can not be blown if the receiver chain basically works and you can hear a signal that is stronger than the noise.

What do we have left? IF stages, local oscillators and mixers. Mixers probably are ok since the RX chain works otherwise. So, we have come down to locals and IF. The locals are crystal oscillators and most likely can not produce anything like this, and it would have to be all of them if the problem is across all bands. Voila, the only thing we have left are the IF stages. A problem there sure would be able to generate a reading on the S-meter and this kind of noise.

Wiley KF6IIU suggested cold solder joints. That is a very good suggestion so go ahead and look at bad joints in the IF circuits. The IF amplifier transistors probably are ok since the RX chain works, but besides a bad solder joint there may be a faulty component near the transistor that makes it oscillate.

Happy hunting,

	Esa OH7WV