[Yaesu] FT-920 IMD

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Wed Aug 13 20:41:04 EDT 2003

Christian:

I own a relatively new FT-920 (Ser.# 2E550195). I have tested for CW keying
bandwidth (see my posting above re "mods," and find that it is perfectly
acceptable. I believe Yaesu has tweaked the CW keying without telling anyone.

Ditto the trasnmit IMD. The ARRL's test was on a unit from an early
production run and I believe it is correct to say that new FT-920s will
test (worst case) -30 dB.

I agree with you entirely that the "man-sized dimensions" are a big plus.
In addition, the layout of the controls and the easy-to-read display are
perfect for CW IMHO. If ICOM's IC-diminutive 746PRO were larger and if it
had a more user-friendly interface, I would be using it. As it is, I'll
gladly take the somewhat lesser receiver performance of the FT-920 in order
to enjoy that wonderful "feel."

The INRAD 400 Hz CW filter is a must for the FT-920 on CW. I understand
that the INRAD mod, which allows two filters to be cascaded, is even better.

73,
John, W3ULS