[Yaesu] Re: ft101zd

Wiley Sanders wsanders at wsanders.net
Sat Feb 8 09:31:32 EST 2003

Just as bad to run the rig out of tune at any power than to run it at full
power!  Have you checked the cathode current? If you are going to limit the
power output, detune the rig by tweaking the preselector (this detunes the
driver to final tank.) When you detune the final output tank you are
dissipating all that extra power in the final output stage - most of it
probably in your tubes!

Have you checked your ALC? You are probably way overdriving the rig, maybe
your compressor is on. Your compressor MUST be off. If the ALC needle moves at
all, you are overdriving. Back off on the computer volume. There are enough
PSK31 ops with kHz-wide signals, don't be among them.

I ran PSK31 on my FT-101E but it was so hard on the finals, even limiting the
  IC to 150ma, that I stopped. For some reason, my FT-101 hated PSK31 - it is
fine with RTTY. I suspect the long duty cycles.

-Wiley KF6IIU