[Yaesu] Grounding Mark V's & PCs

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Thu Jan 23 15:02:42 EST 2003

I've always wondered how one physically grounds a PC, monitor and printer
together. In my shack, I have had no RF or other problems--my rigs go to
two connected ground rods (one being the house power ground) 5' away
outside the shack via a bus on the back shelf connected to a #8 stranded
wire. The rigs and PC power cords go to the same dedicated 20-amp outlet.
There is no separate ground for the computer, which is connected to the
Mark V via a DB-9 serial cable, other than the one in the three-way power
cord. Maybe this is enough given the ground set-up I use?

At any rate, I have connected and disconnected my Mark V to the PC without
unplugging the power supply many times (with both items turned off).

John, W3ULS