[Yaesu] Re: Yaesu FT-990

Rubin P Thornton ab5dr_rubin at juno.com
Sat Jul 12 22:16:05 EDT 2003

Hi David,
I bought my FT-990 used. It is the DC version.  I got it in spite of the
fact that I said I  would never buy another YAESU after owning a brand
new FT-900AT. I paid $1350 for that dog and gave it away for $500 a
couple of  years later. I kept it in the box most of the time.   First of
all, the FT900 was too small and secondly it did not have an RF Gain
Control like the FT-890AT,  which was basically the same radio,  without
a removable front panel. I asked YAESU why didn't they include it. They
even had a fix but they would not give it to me.  I don't DX, so I just
want a radio where when the locals come in strong I can turn the RF Gain
Control down and turn up the Audio Volume. Makes arm chair copy sound
like stereo.
Anyway, after I got rid of that damm usless FT-900, I got a real radio
for my motor home, an ICOM 706MKIIG and have not been sorry since.

Now back to the FT-990, I am from the old school.  A radio should be big.
Most radios today like the  FT-900 and the ICOM 706MKIIG have small
screens, tiny buttons to push, and thousands of menu selections to choose
from.  Who needs it??? Plus, once you get them off the norm, ain't no way
to get them back while you are driving. Even at home in the shack, you
have to break out the book and the magnifying glass to get them set up
properly again. The FT-990 is great. Easy to program. Easier to operate.
Yes it has a little audio hiss but like I said, I like to Rag Chew.  Now
that I have my FT-990 setup, all I do is hit the power button, to turn it
ON and OFF.  Rotate the MEMORY knob to select my pre-programmed
frequency.  Adjust the af gain and RF GAIN. All the other bells and
whistles are not used.  At least on the FT990 you don't have to wade
through THOUSANDS of menus to operate. Just key the damn mic and go. When
I sit in front of the BIG FT-990 I feel like I'm in control. I like the
big knobs, the analog S-meter. I can read the labels under each knob or
switch.  I can read the digital readout. Plus it almost sounds as good as
a Kenwood, smile.

Rubin AB5DR
FT-990, FT-101E,  FT-102,  FT-401B, FL-2000B, TEMPO ONE