[Yaesu] FT-101E Speech Processor

R_Davis WD8JJA at arrl.net
Sun May 4 20:35:48 EDT 2003

Hi to the Gang.

I have recently (somewhat) installed an RF Speech Processor onto my
FT-101EX, which is the last step in bringing my rig up to "E" configuration.
I have long had all the optional crystals and installed the DC-DC converter
about 2 years ago. I added the WARC kit from INRAD about a year ago.

My Processor is the PB-1534 which uses an off-board Level control, while my
FT-101EX is an earlier model, when Yaesu used the PB-1494 which had the
Level control on the board.  The later ones using the PB-1534 had a Level
control on the front panel, concentric with the Clarifier.  For a Level
control, I originally just wired up a 10K pot under the hood.

I just acquired the dual Clarifier/Level control pot and replaced the single
Clarifier pot. It seems to work just great.

My question is for the users of FT-101E's:

What is the "normal" setting of the Level control? Mine works as follows.
Maximum output, with processor "ON" is with the Level control fully
clockwise, with plenty of ALC action.  When adjusted so that the ALC just
barely does not move on voice peaks, the Level control is at about 4 o'clock
position or at about a 4 on the minus or right hand side of the clarifier.
Any more CCW rotation starts dropping the output, rather quickly.  I guess I
was expecting to utilize more of the pot's range.

So, where does your Level control typically run?  Does this sound about
right?

Thanks in advance,
73 and God Bless,
Rick, WD8JJA.