[Yaesu] Re: FT-101E Speech Processor

Davis_R WD8JJA at arrl.net
Wed May 21 09:22:21 EDT 2003

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the reply.

I know of the G3LLL processor from reading the FT newsletters, too.  It WAS
in the circuit during receive, as well as transmit. In some of the
comparisons, this was the deciding factor that gave the G3LLL processor an
edge over the Yaesu's. So you are correct regarding the 2.4 KHz filter being
in line during receive.
The Yaesu version uses the switching polarity of the RF PROC switch which is
LOW during receive, and HI during transmit, to route the IF through the
limiter/filter section of the board when ON; and around that part of the
circuit when OFF.
Regarding AM use, I thought it might give a boost to the audio, kind of like
using an amplified microphone. But it must not work that way at IF the way
it does when amplifying at AF.

Agreed on cost of 6JS6C! I have a couple spare sets, but I am babying my
1977 vintage tubes along.  They still do about 150 watts.

I don't think it is the efficiency of SSB, but just the normal
characteristics of human speech, that makes a processor valuable, It helps
to boost the low amplitude level characteristics of the soft sounds, i.e.
th's and sh's, etc. and limits the peaks of the loud or hard sounds to
eliminate overdrive that leads to spurious and harmonics. Therefore, the
AVERAGE is greater, but the PEAKS are limited.

73,
Rick, WD8JJA