[Yaesu] FT-990 Power Output On 160

Thomas Giella KN4LF kn4lf at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 10 10:51:24 EDT 2003

Osten SM5DQC Said:

Regarding my question yesterday about FT-990 giving only 10 watts on 160
meters
I got the reply below from ON5MF, anyone who knows how to get back to 100
watts
again? Can't find anything with goggle-search.

Thomas KN4LF Says:
  Remove the top cover of the rig. You will see a series of vertically
mounted PC boards. The closest one to the speaker is the RF board. There is
a potentiometer # VR1001 on the RF board closest to the front of the rig. It
should also have 160 printed on the circuit board near the pot. This is the
power output adjustment for the 160 meter band.
  Set your rig to the CW mode and 1840 kc, turn the RF power knob on the
front of the
rig fully clockwise and then turn the pot. to 100 watts, actually you can
turn it up to 150 watts safely. This should take care of the problem. It
worked for me.
  If it doesn't fix your 160 meter power output problem then it may have
some wire or something that needs to be cut and I'm not familiar with that
procedure. Let me know how everything goes.
  Give me your mailing address and I'll mail you a CD copy of the FT-990
Service Manual/Technical Supplement.

---