[Yaesu] FTDX401 STATIONS

Michael Charteris empire1963 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 7 17:18:51 EDT 2004

Hi One and All,
How many of the group out there actively use the FT400/401 series on air
each day? I have here an FTDX401 and make a point of putting it n air
regualrly. It is somewhat nostalgic to operate this equipment from the late
1960's to the early 1970's. Best of all to reply to stations using the
latest equipment with all the bells and whistles whilst operating something
in the vicinity of 34 years old and still doing the job.

I have a bit of a theory that the likes of the 400/401 series were somewhat
left in a timewarp with the FT101 hiting the market in the early 1970's. You
never seem to see any modifications for the 401 series in the way of
improvements, which is a bit of a shame really.  Then all of a sudden, one
did not have to worry about all those valves, just three anyway. The 400/401
series seemed to have been made redundent overnight and the future loomed
brightly on the horizon with the demise of all valve equipment. I wonder
what might have been if the 400/401 series ran for some ten years of
production, and as to whether improvemnets would have been made over time.
The other thing is, what if Yaesu produced the FT101 and actually produced
it in the same case as the FT401 case, that would have been a real
advancement based on the series. But instead they brought out a whole new
radio in a whole new look.

I wonder what the thoughts of others oare on these points I have made today.
It makes intersting thinking to imagine What If??

All the best for now from Australia
Cheers Mike