[Yaesu] MP-Intermittent receiver

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Thu Feb 19 21:51:20 EST 2004

I have a plain MP that has just started exhibiting an intermittent
with peculiar symptoms.  Wonder if anyone has had a similar
experience and SOLVED IT?

I am presently only using it for receive and it has been working
fine for many months.  But in the last few weeks it has started
going dead on receive.  It will work OK but with time (and temp?)
it goes dead.  Further checking shows that it can be "fixed"
for a short time by transmitting and then it will go dead again
in ten or twenty seconds.  Each time when I hit MOX to go into
transmit mode it will recover on RX but only for a very short time.
It SEEMS like it is worse on the low bands--but maybe because
that is where I am listening most of the time.

What is interesting and probably the best clue is that when it
dies it doesn't die instantly but takes one or two seconds to
fade out.  When I TX, even if for a second, it comes back fully
then works fine for ten to twenty seconds and then fades out
in one or two seconds.

All front panel indications seem fine.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas--John   W0UN