[Yaesu] FT-1000D and Alpha 87A

John Nelson john at steampower.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 15:13:52 EST 2004

Many thanks to those who replied to the question of interfacing an FT-1000D
with an Alpha 87A. The latest version of the 87A manual states that the
maximum voltage and current at the keying jack is 5V and 1mA. This doesn't
sound like a lot, but can anyone give definitive ratings for the device in
the FT-1000D that pulls Pin 3 of the 'Band Data' socket low on transmit?

I also notice that on the Alpha Power web site there's a note headed "QSK
amplifier keying circuit for Yaesu FT-1000MP, FT-1000MP Mk-V
and FT-1000/1000D". This states "Pins 2 (+ Keying), 3 (Gnd) and 8 of BAND
DATA connector can be used for QSK keying of Alpha 87A, 89, 99, and 91B amps
(Pin 8 is connected to Gnd). Turn LIN SW off. Connect cable to RELAY jack of
Alpha amplifier."

All in all, I can't see a problem with switching the 87A direct from the
1000D. However, if anyone knows better, please tell me before I start
digging in!

73 John
GW4FRX