[Yaesu] RE: FT-1000 60 Hz Hum Problem

Marty Rosenzweig marty at cmn.net
Mon Jul 26 17:24:35 EDT 2004

Greetings,
Well Marinos gets the grand prize today! I tried a pair of Koss phones
and no hum. The Koss measured about 240 ohms...I know that's DC
resistance, not impedance, but it does indicate a much higher impedance
than the Yaesu phones which measure about 34 ohms DC. A couple of 220
ohm resistors in series with each "channel" and the hum is gone with a
somewhat higher AF gain control position than without the resistors.
Interesting that Yaesu doesn't design phones appropriate for (at least)
this radio (or maybe not designing radios for common low impedance
phones!), and it also explains why some FT-1000 users don't experience
the hum at all.
I expect it's all an exercise in technology and the radio really doesn't
perform any better now, with the modification, but the knowledge is
worth the effort!
That brings me to the question of what people like in headphones,
particularly for the 1000, I guess? I bought the Yaesu phones to
optimize voice and, primarily, CW response  as opposed to the wide
bandwidth of high quality audiophile phones. They're also much lighter
than the Koss I used to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone who responded and ain't the Internet (and this list)
a great resource?

73,

Marty
WO0Q