[Yaesu] 1000MP Mark V Field & PSK31 Via Soundcard / 60 Meter Mod

Thomas Giella KN4LF kn4lf at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 13 23:46:56 EDT 2004

I bought a new FT-1000MP Mark V Field last weekend and am just getting around to interfacing it via my homebrewed digital interface and homebrewed computer. For DSP software I use Hamscope v1.54 because it supports PSK31, MFSK16 and RTTY.

Using the supplied five pin packet male plug I soldered transceiver audio out to soundcard in at pin #4 (data out) and that works fine. I also soldered the PTT line from the computer to pin #3 and that keys the rig up fine. The problem is with soundcard audio out to transceiver audio in. I soldered that to pin #1 (data in) and I get no or low audio in, even with the soundcard controls turned up to an acceptable level. So I presume that this is the wrong place for audio in to the
transceiver. As far as I can see I either send audio in via the mic jack on the front of the rig which is unacceptable to me because of wear and tear on the male jack. Or I use RCA female "Patch" jack on the back of the rig, which is also unacceptable to me because it's tied to the mic jack on front and I would still have to unhook the MD-100 desk mic to prevent audio pick up.

Am I missing something? Also as far as menu settings, I went to 8-6 and set it up by selecting Easy-Set with the sub VFO knob and PS31-SU with the main VFO knob. I also tried PS31-U.

Also any information on the location of the SMT resistor for 60 meter transmit capability would also be much appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated.
73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
QSL Via Direct Snail Mail, ARRL LOTW & eQSL

NWS SKYWARN Observer # HIL-249
SWFWMD Rainfall Observer #574
PODX 070 PSK31 Club Member #349

KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm