[Yaesu] Did you know ?

certified-electronics at juno.com certified-electronics at juno.com
Thu May 27 18:39:24 EDT 2004

Did you know that the early FT-101 (I belive even the B model)
had little metal lever controls for the RF gain and the Mic Gain controls
?

Boy I was glad to see Yaesu get rid of those.  If you tried loading up an
older rig with those metal controls and you didn't have a good ground
on the rig, you cold get a nice little RF burn on your finger tip if the
conditions were just right.   I learned, ALWAYS GROUND YOUR RIG.
The "E/EE/EX" and later models had a plastic lever control for both
Microphone and RF gain.

Also if you have an FT-757Gx, it's very important to ground those rigs
too!
There is a lot of RF in that little rig and whole boat load of
semiconductors.
I've seen it plenty of times where the Keyer board in the FT-757  was
blown out
along with some diodes in the low level RF section of the rig.  Running
the rig
with too much power on AM mode and improper grounding will cause you all
kinds of grief when using a 757 / 767.  It's worth repeating.
GROUND YOUR STATION.

Regards
Carol Maher
W4CLM