[Yaesu] 736-R Amp keying

David Vondrasek n5ito at davidv.net
Wed Sep 1 19:03:19 EDT 2004

Hope someone can help here.. I have a Yeasu FT-736R that I am driving a
Tempo Henry 2002 with via the external amp keying lines out the back of the
radio. All is fine. Now the 736 doesn't give near the amount of drive
required to get the full output of the 2002. I put a Mirage B1016 and an
older 10/80 Mirage after the 736 to give the 2002 more drive. Problem is
it's picking up feedback some how via the key line.  Long as the key line
is connected to the 2002 and I use the brick amp, once I unkey the radio is
over loaded with signal and take 5-6 secs for the AGC to drop out to allow
signal again. This happens with the 2002 off or on, long as the key line is
connected.  I can unplug the key line from the 2002 and everything works
fine. I assume is getting feed back someplace because on SSB I still have
50-60 watts of carrier on a dead key after stopping audio.  Suggestions ?

Dave
N5ITO