[Yaesu] FT2000?

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 14 21:00:22 EST 2005

More like a scaled up 1000.  It is missing a lot of the built-in features of
the 9000.  Also, the twin RX is about the same as for the 1000 (only one
actual receiver).  However, the front panel has many similarities to the
9000, no doubt a marketing objective.  The initial version is 100W but there
will surely be another up-scale version boasting 200W.  This radio will be
most attractive because it includes two roofing filters at 6 and 12 KHz for
SSB and AM, respectively.  The 9000 includes a third at 3 KHz for CW, but it
can also be selected for SSB for use in crowded band contest conditions.

Pricing is still a guess for me.  I think the initial version will target
1000 Field buyers with a slightly higher price.  I would expect the price to
be about USD2500.  This could be interpreted as a real bargain with the
addition of 6 meters without using a transverter.

I think the next version (200W) will be about USD3500 with an option for a
small TFT display similar to the 9000D.

I think these two rigs will be positioned behind the 9000 Contest and 9000D
as "almost as good".  Indeed, if you take the edge off of all the 9000
features (such as mu-tune pre-selector), you will still have a great rig.

73 Keith NM5G