[Yaesu] ATAS 120 in the attic

John Wagner jwagner at dxengineering.com
Fri Oct 14 08:46:59 EDT 2005

K0BWQ wrote:
> [...]

The ATAS is acting like a non ground mounted antenna. In that case, the
counterpoises need to be 1/4wl for each band you want to use for decent
performance. This is probably not feasible in the attic. I guess you just
need to do the best you can, making the counterpoises as close to 1/4 wl as
possible. The feedline ground should go to the counterpoise system. Do not
ground the counterpoise to station ground or a ground rod. You also might
want to use a feedline choke to make sure the feedline is not acting as part
of the antenna. It should be placed just outside the counterpoises.

73 John W8JJW