[Yaesu] Yaesu Warranty on Used FT-897D?

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Sat Aug 5 09:38:25 EDT 2006

> No different from Ten-Tec.  I was looking at an almost brand new Orion
> II for which the warranty card had not been sent in.  I emailed TenTec
> service dept and was told, in no uncertain terms that their warranty
> non-transferable and is to the initial purchaser, only.
> That kept me from buying both that Orion and the possibility of buying a
> new one from TenTec, if that is their attitude.
> Art K5FNQ

Sure would be neat to find a manufacturer who would
honor the serial number vs the name on the receipt.
Others would have to follow if Hams refused to buy
their resale-devalued hardware.

It makes no sense to not honor the serial number as
that is what is guaranteed by the manufacturer.  That
"they all do it" is no excuse.

The only explanation for a manufacturer using the
name on the receipt vs the serial number is that they
know many of their devices will be sold prior to the
end of the warranty and they want to escape their
responsibility to support everything they make for
the length of time their marketing says it will last.

Perhaps rig marketing hype should read:  "Guaranteed
to last for 1 year or until re-sold, whichever is sooner.
We require additional payment if the rig changes hands
because it magically ceases to be reliable."

Puts it in a different light!

Climbs down off the soapbox again ...

--

Thanks! & 73,