[Yaesu] Resale Value of Unused AT897 Tuner?

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Thu Aug 17 07:36:37 EDT 2006

> If it still has the warranty card not filled out and sent in, and if
> you bought it recentlyit should be worth pretty close to new "street
> price" value, maybe 80% or even 90%.
>
> To a considerable extent, it depends on the terms of the warranty.
> If the clock starts ticking on  the warranty coverage the day it was
> purchased from a dealer, the warranty becomes less and less valuable
> as time goes on.  LDG's web site says they provide a two year
> warranty, but it doesn't address whether the clock starts on that two
> years from the time the warranty card is sent in, or from the time
> the item is purchased from a dealer.  Most companies follow the
> practice of starting the warranty period from the date of sale.
> Buyers will assume that's the case unless you can confirm otherwise
> with LDG.
>
> If the clock has run out on the warranty (that is, if you've had the
> unit for two years or longer), I would venture a guess that it would
> be hard to get more than 60% or so of original retail price for the
> item, even though it's unused.  The value of the warranty is a large
> part of the value of the total purchase.
> Lew K6LMP

I believe that the original owner bought it about 5 months
ago.  LDG, like most, limits their warranty to the original
owner vs the time since the hardware was purchased.

The moment most hardware is re-sold the mfgr's drop
their warranty coverage.

LDG is better than many at stretching their official
terms.

The buyer would need to assume no warranty coverage.
Warranty card is not completed because the original
owner never opened the box.  I opened it to be sure
that UPS had not harmed anything even though it was
triple-boxed!

80% or 90% of new price still valid?

--

Thanks! & 73,