[Yaesu] MkV RX Problem

Charles Bibb zedkay at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 16 16:53:33 EST 2006

Hi, All

Got my Mark V back from Yaesu service about two weeks ago. Had no power
output after a nearby lightning strike. Turned out to be a few blown diodes
and caps; relatively minor. Turn around time was almost exactly 2 months.

Now, however, I'm noticing a new problem, this time with the RX. When
strong signals are present, I hear copies of them at 11-13 khz above and
below the actual signal. Usually it is at 11.6 khz either side of the real
signal, but varies a little by band. It is present when using any of the RX
antenna jacks, "A", "B", or the separate RX antenna jack. I've eliminated
any external devices in the line as the cause, so it's definitely happening
inside the Mark V.

Does anybody know what this is?

This screwy RX behavior did not occur before the TX failed, but may have
been present when I sent it out to Yaesu. I was so involved with the TX
problem that I didn't do any rigorous checking of the RX because it seemed
fine just tuning across the bands. Just in case, I asked Yaesu to check out
the RX and they said they checked and aligned it and that everything was
fine. This, however, it NOT fine.

I first noticed it on 20 meters SSB while working the 3Y0. I was using dual
RX at the time and began hearing some of the stations calling the 3Y in the
LEFT earphone. Now, I know the audio from both the main RX and sub RX is
mixed, with the main appearing mainly in the left earpiece and the sub
appearing mainly in the right earpiece (the way I had the menu set), but I
was hearing the calling stations in BOTH. After further checking on CW, I
found what was really happening. Filter positions don't seem to affect
it.  Receiver performance seems fully up to specs, except for the "extra"
signals. Curiously, it doesn't seem to happen on 160 or 80. I have heard it
on 40, 20, 17 and 15 meters.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Am I about to have to ship it back to
California?

Thanks,

Charles - K5ZK