[Yaesu] FT1000MP AF out affected by AF Gain control settings

Michael Ruttenberg G7TWC g7twc at rutty.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 18:27:59 EST 2006

Hi all.

If someone could point in the right direction that would be great.

The FT1000MP manual page 20 section 14 (AF OUT mini Phone jack) says "The front panel AF GAIN control amd the AF REV switch setting do not [in italics in original text] control the signals at this jack."

On my rig the AF Gain setting does control the volume on the AF out.

I noticed this when passing the audio through to my soundcard for testing data mode reception. When asked why the software (MMTTY) wasn't getting audio I turned up the AF Gain and hey presto, instant audio showing up on MMTTY. Turning it down and the audio level metering dropped.

The previous owner of the rig had a hearing disability, but as far as I know would have used AF Gain to drive headphones a lot more than AF Out.

Has anyone come across this non-standard link between the AF Out and AF Gain control before? I can't find any mention of a mod online that creates such a link.

Any help appreciated, as always.

Mike G7TWC