[Yaesu] Roofing filter

Cecil Acuff chacuff at cableone.net
Thu Jul 20 14:02:32 EDT 2006

No Flames here....

Probably in day to day use it would not be noticed and only now and again in
competitive use on extremely crowded bands....like 20 mtrs.

I don't consider it an obsession as much as a hedge.  No need to invest in a
3 to 15 thousand dollar radio if you can make the receiver you own perform
as well for a few hundred bucks.  Now I wouldn't invest in the roofing
filter performance improvement if the basic radio wasn't as good as the
FT-1000 is....We all agree on that point.  It is an excellent radio.
Throwing roofing filters at badly designed radio's is probably not smart....

I've heard reports of the roofing filter mod changing the entire feel of the
FT-1000 on receive....and if getting rid of some of the buckshot from a
nearby power house makes the QSO more enjoyable then it's worth the money.
Personally I would like it so I could switch the thing in and out to be used
as needed.

I think you will find all new HF receivers will incorporate more narrow
roofing filters in their designs.  Now that close in IMD testing has been
accepted as more real world than the old wide space testing it just makes
more sense.  Obsession.....I think it just good engineering practice.  Nice
that the FT-1000 lends itself to being able to easily take advantage of the
improvement when desired.

Just my 2 cents worth though...

Cecil Acuff
WB5VCE