[Yaesu] FW: roofing filters

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 21 13:04:49 EDT 2006

The roofing filter is the 1st IF filter, and determines the absolute widest
bandwidth which can be received.  There are 4 IFs in the Mark V.  The stock
roofing filter in the radio is 15 Khz, a 70 Mhz filter.  The 4th IF is
entirely digital, and is the location of the DSP circuitry.

The selectable filters are found in the 2nd and 3rd IF stages, and are
normally crystal or mechanical filters.

The Inrad roofing filter is a crystal filter.  The stock filter I believe is
ceramic.  The Inrad mod places the two filters in series with a low noise
amplifier to make up for insertion losses.

73 and Happy DXing,

Mike
W2AJI