[Yaesu] MP problems

Cecil Acuff chacuff at cableone.net
Fri Jun 2 20:47:23 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

        I'm new around here so go easy if I get outside the lines a bit.

I acquired an early FT-1000MP recently and it has a weird problem with the
DSP section.  It appears that RF is getting into the DSP and sending it off
into never never land.  It always occurs after a keydown activity.  It's
random in nature in that you never know when it's going to happen but out of
the blue when you unkey the mic you will get blasted with full power white
noise with the receive audio faintly in the mix.  If you are wearing
headphones you ditch them in a hurry.  Switching the DSP off puts everything
back to normal minus the DSP effects.  Switch the DSP back on and it's back
to full noise.  Only way to reset all things to normal is to power the radio
off and back on and all is OK until it occurs again.  The radio is mint and
performs great other than that.  It is being evaluated side by side with an
FT-1000....of the D series except it does not have all the filters.  The MP
is loaded with InRad in every position.  I'm trying to find an excuse to
keep one or the other but I can't say one is any better than the other in
any of the conditions I have been able to put them in.  May just keep
both...but would like to solve the DSP problem....

Any ideas?  Seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Cecil Acuff
WB5VCE