[Yaesu] Yaesu FT980

Dave Clift daveclift at uniserve.com
Wed Sep 13 00:39:45 EDT 2006

Hi All

I have a problem with one of my Yaesu FT980 CAT Tranceivers that perhaps
some one has run into before and can help me out.

The problem started when I hooked in an amplifier without totally
reading all of the instructions ( dumb of me) and found out later that
the amplifier did not have a back pulse cancelling diode installed
across the T/R relay. The amplifier worked fine at low power but when I
increased the power the radio went dead so I suspect a surge went back
through the radio.

I took the covers off the radio and found the 13.5 volt 3.6 amp fuse
blown and replaced it but the radio is still dead. The main fuse is OK.

All of the meter lights light up, the frequency dial lights up but the
dial is stuck on 40 metres however is adjustable within the 40 mtr.
band. Also the cooling fan does come on momentarily when the power is
turned on.

I investigated further and found that there is a 6 connector terminal on
the protector unit board ( PS2419A) that upon checking the voltage on
the different terminals found that teminal #6 is "0" voltage where it
should be 13.5 Volts. If I am reading the schematic properly it appears
as though that terminal powers the 10W P/A & 100W P/A.

I suspect the problem is in the Protector Unit however before ordering
the part I would like to be sure of it.

Have any of you run into this problem and could help me out?

Thanks very much

73's

Dave Clift
VE7OCQ