[Yaesu] Yaesu] FT1000 (D) or FT2000?

Dave Maley dgmaley at commspeed.net
Wed Nov 21 11:46:53 EST 2007

Keith;
There's a couple of nice features in the 2000, but first, the FT-2000 Band Pass filters are just standard half-octave filters like everyone else uses.  And now the good part:
These half octave filters are switched with relays instead of pin diodes.  Makes the front end quieter.  In front of this is what Yaesu calls a VRF unit.  Looks like a preselector.  Schematic looks like a small antenna tuner.  You can add what they call a micro-tune unit.  Looks like the kind of preselector that was built in a tube rig, but this one runs off a small motor.  This can all add up to a lot of selectivity before the RF amp.  Someone have a comment on how well all this filtering helps?  The RF amp is no big deal.  It can either be one or two stages.  It doesn't have to be robust, it's got all this filtering in front of it.  Same for the first mixer.  The roofing filters are single pole monolithic filters.
Dave  WA0ZZG

I find plenty of negative stuff on eHam.net.  I consider it to be non-useful
(mostly just complaining) for the most part.

Actually, the FT2000 blows away the FT1000.  It does this primarily by
employing DSP in the first IF and allowing selection of 3 different roofing
filters for each mode.  Also, I understand the BP filters in the 2000 do a
great job of eliminating out-of-band interference.

Keith NM5G