[Yaesu] FT 1000D HUM

Leslie Elliott kc0pto at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 19:51:26 EST 2007

Does this have a "built in" power supply?  If so, I apologize.  My Yaesu, a FT-920, uses an external PS, and IU assumed this was the case with the FT-1000D.  My bad.
KCØPTO  Les

NPAlex at aol.com wrote:
Tony,
It is very unlikely that you have a power supply filter problem on your FT
1000D as if there was a PS filter problem I am sure Yaesu Technicians would have
spotted that.

Easy check, is to listen to your radio on another receiver, CW and also SSB
with the MIC disconnected, set mic gain to zero and RF drive also set low.  Now
listen to the signal in both modes, I would bet there is no hum.  Also using
earphones turn the MONITOR gain up and listen for any hum (mic disconnected).

 I think your problem is probably external to the radio, such as a  bad mic.
cable, or RF getting into the audio stages, etc.  Again listen to your signal
into a dummy load, mic connected and gain set normal levels.  Key the unit and
listen for hum. Then attach to the antenna, and check for hum. IF hum occurs
with the antenna connected, I would try improving the RF grounds on your
radio, or check the mic cable shield.

A further test you can do, to isolate the source, is with an "on the air". To
test for the cause, turn the mic gain down or disconnect the mic.  If the
listener says the hum disappeared then I think you can be sure it is a mic, or
mic cable, or unit grounding  problem.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

Message: 5