[Yaesu] FT1000D dim display

Hardy Landskov n7rt at cox.net
Wed Sep 19 12:20:18 EDT 2007

At 11:58 PM 9/5/2007 -0500, Dave N9WQ wrote:
>I had the same problem and wound up replacing the display board from yaesu
>it was as I recall 244.00 US. I think that there are some guys who can
>repair them
>but at the time I couldn't find them.........   Dave N9WQ

Dave,
I could not find anyone that knew much about the displays including the
tech's at Yaesu, so I fixed it myself. It required replacing the display
(not for people that don't repair electronics on a regular basis) and
switching transistor Q8026, both ordered form Yaesu. I also replaced the
100uF electrolytics in the power supply section of the display board with
caps that were designed for switching power supplies (Nichicon UPW series
from Mouser). The caps were definately discolored.
The switching supply is used to drive the filament of the Vacuum
Fluorescent Display. I measured 17 volts p-p, quasi square wave, ~72 KHz
switching rate.
73 Hardy N7RT