[Yaesu] Use FT-897 with tube type Dentron amplifier

Dick Zseltvay dickzs at comcast.net
Thu Feb 21 13:41:07 EST 2008

I have a Dentron amplifier that I have been using with a FT-1000D. The amplifier is connected to the Transmit Ground on the FT-1000.

I would like to use the amplifier with a FT-897D. I have a relay box that I bought from Yaesu years ago as an interface from a FT-757GX to the amplifier. The relay box contains a normally open relay. As best as I can remember, the FT-757GX's   TX ground was attached to the FT-757 and the amplifier was conned to a PTT jack. There are two connectors on the amplifier side of the relay that provide 13.5 VDC - I can not get the relay enclosure open far enough to see where the 13.5 V goes. I don't recall using the 13.5 V leads.

Any one with experience in using the FT-897D (or FT-857) with an old style tube amplifier that can help me? Does the relay box I described above provide the interface needed to connect the FT-897D to the Dentron amplifier? Have I got enough isolation with this relay box?