[Yaesu] Collins Filter F455FA21

Hardy Landskov n7rt at cox.net
Wed Nov 5 21:28:10 EST 2008

I have used a 5.8 KHz Collins Mechanical Filter (P/N 526 8636 010) in my
FT-990 in place of the AM ceramic filter with excellent results. I changed
the bias resistors from 4.7K to 2K and added 30 pF caps to ground to get the
impedance levels right. The 2K resistors more than doubled the bias current
which PIN diodes like anyway. Note: I got rid of the computer diodes in the
radio that were used for switching.
I don't see why you could not do the same. The older Collins filters are big
and hard to shoe horn in. The newer ones are very small and give practically
the same performance with a little sacrifice in ultimate rejection as I
remember.
73 Hardy N7RT