[Yaesu] FT901 power out problem

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Fri Feb 6 22:45:45 EST 2009

Dear list,

I have an FT901 on my workbench at the moment. It is in reasonable shape
and for the most part seems to be working. I am however having great
difficulty with getting much power out. Several modifications appear to
have been done and I am trying to undo them but may have missed
something. Currently having removed what I think are modifications I
have about 25 to 30 watts out on 20 metres. PA tubes and driver check
good in another radio.

Initially I found the PA HT was only about 450 volts. I traced this to a
rebuilding of the power supply as a full wave bridge rather than a
voltage doubler circuit. This seems to have been deliberate on account
of the cut pcb tracks. Circuit rebuilt correctly and tested.

Underneath the PA compartment I found what I believe should be R06 to
have been replaced with a choke, about 15 turns of 28 guage wire wound
on a 3/16" form by the look of things. The schematic shows no value for
this resistor. I believe it may be 1 ohm.

At the connection to the output socket from the change over relay I
found an additional PI network, not sure of the cap values but the coil
is 9 turns of 26 guage wound on a 1/2" form or thereabouts. The manual
schematic suggests this should just be a piece of wire from relay to socket.

I would be interested to see some good photographs of the PA section,
particularly around the toroid core output network inductor as I suspect
there may have been modifications in this area also. Would also like to
hear any other thoughts as to why the reduced output power.

Regards
Martin, HS0ZED