[Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise (K1TTT)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Oct 30 18:30:30 PDT 2009

Scott,

Since the pulsing is in time with the "CAT" light, this
is probably an open ground or shield in your mic or CAT
circuit.

Since it does not occur in PKT, my guess would be an open
ground in the mic circuit.  I believe the FT-1000D has an
RF choke between the "mic ground" (pin 7) and chassis -
either on the mic connector board or the AF board.

The first thing I would check is the mic ground wire
(pin 7) in all of your mic cables and adapters.  After
that, I would check the choke in the microphone preamplifier
circuit.  Then I would check the shield (ground) connection
on pin 2 of the CAT cable, pin 2 of the CAT plug to the
chassis of the FT-1000D, pin 5 of any DB9 (RS-232) cable
and the shield of any USB cable (if you are using a USB
to serial adapter) and make sure your computer shows a
connection between the shell of the USB port and the
chassis/power supply.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV