[Yaesu] FT1000MP Rx Jack Isolation

Tom Lappin W0UY lappint at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 19 05:58:01 PST 2010

John,

I have used a similar set up with a MarkV MP radio and FT-1000D.  My
transmitting antenna was an Inverted L and the receiving antennas were
480 foot Beverages.  My transmitting antenna was about 400 feet from the
receiving antenna using a maximum power of 800 watts on CW.  If you can
not get good separation of the antennas I think you would want to
disconnect the receive antenna during transmit using a reed relay or at
least a silicon signal diode to conduct to ground if the voltage got
above it's conduction voltage of 0.3 volts.  Another possibility would
be a low voltage incandescent lamp like a #47 to conduct voltage to
ground.  At one time there was a box available that controlled the
receive antenna connection and prevented the linear PPT from turning on
the amplifier before the receive antenna was disconnected.  Not sure
that is still available but you could build something similar.

I don't profess to be an expert on this subject, just thought I'd pass
along my experiences as food for thought.  Good luck with your 160 meter
station, maybe I'll catch you on top band sometime.  This winter I am in
Texas rather than Kansas and have no room for 160 meter antennas.

73
Tom
W0UY