[Yaesu] FT-1000 mystery signals?

Chris Hannagan zl2dx at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jan 1 13:00:44 PST 2011

Hello David,
Thanks for the comments. I have done some more tests and perhaps can clarify
a few of my earlier comments.

The problem exists whether there is an antenna or a signal generator
attached so is certainly happening within the radio.

On checking the different bands the problem varies although the triggers to
start and stop it seem to be the same.
The start trigger seems to be a momentary switch on of the transmitter while
the ATU is out of line. It doesn't need any signal to be transmitted but
just appears to be a product of the switching process.
The stop trigger is the momentary engagement of the ATU whether it has been
tuned to that band or not. The extra signals remain stopped until the TX is
again activated.

Band by band the problem varies.
On 28, 24, 21, 14 MHz the signals seem to be generated as originally
described.... a "copy" of the original signal every 17.4-17.5 KHz away from
the real signal but decreasing in signal strength each "17 KHz step" away.
The extra signals seem just as stable as the radio and when tuned to one of
these signals 1 MHz away from the fundamental there is no sign of drifting.
On 10 MHz the step size seems to be 8.7 KHz.
On 3.5 and 1.8 MHz the signals at the 17.4 KHz spacing from the signal
generator fundamental are quite weak but there but there are strong signals
drifting across the RX passband at 17.4 KHz apart. These signals are
stronger than the signal generator fundamental signal.

The attenuator is interesting. It works as expected on the incoming signal
from the signal generator.
On one of the nearby extra signals the frequency of the signal changes by
about 200 -300Hz as it is switched from between the adjacent positions from
IPO to 6dB and again from 6dB to 12dB. This is very noticeable audibly and
doesn't happen with the fundamental signal.

Regards,
Chris ZL2DX