[Yaesu] FT-890 problem

Ken Simpson, W8EK W8EK at flham.net
Sun Mar 11 12:02:37 PDT 2012

I have a Yaesu FT-890 that came from a silent key estate,
so I have no way of knowing how this problem started, or
any history.

Basically, the FT-890 is always in transmit mode.  When
power is applied, the rig comes on immediately (power
switch does nothing), and the rig is stuck in transmit.
Some things still function in transmit (I can turn the
dial and change frequency), but basically not much can
be done (no receive audio of course).  There is no
microphone connected to it, and the manual transmit
button is not pushed, nor is the VOX.

In order to be sure to reset the microprocessor, I took
the lithium battery out of its socket, and left it out
over night.  The rig reset to 7.000 MHz, but is still
locked in transmit.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or have
any suggestions for a simple cure?

Thanks.

73,

Ken, W8EK